Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Birthday Celebration

This week included my 40th birthday. I want to thank all of the friends who sent me greetings on facebook; it was so fun to read through your messages.


One of my favorite parts of this 40th birthday celebration was when I received a package from my mother which included 40 cards from family and friends. Some made me cry; others made me laugh; and some made me feel old :) Thanks so much. It was extra special to hear from so many people that I have had the privilege of crossing paths with at some time in my 40 years.
I thank God for the many people who have taught me so much about life.

All of the 40 cards inspired me to write the following list. 40 things that I have learned about life (in no particular order):

1. Everyone needs to have a favorite pair of jeans.

2. If I do not enjoy the exercise, I will eventually stop doing it. I love to walk. I now have a habit of walking 3 mornings a week, and it's a great way to start the day.

3. Distance is just an easy excuse for not keeping in touch. It is not a legitimate one.

4. God made family, and extended family is a necessary part of life. I would not trade the Rehfeldt/Sturgill clan for anything!

5. If nothing else in your day is going well, you can always get a grande mocha frappucino. It is always good!

6. Love the job you have (or else start looking for another one). I love what I do, and the fact that I get paid for it is just a necessary benefit.

7. I love to sing! I don't do it in the shower (normally), but I do sing everywhere else.

8. Kids should not be a distraction. They are one of the most important things in a parent's life. I should not be annoyed by them (even though it is nice to use the restroom in peace occasionally).

9. Everyone on earth has a place that is their paradise. I am glad I found mine (southern CA) before I got too old to enjoy it.

10. I need to keep blogging, even if I think that no one is reading it.

11. Dog's truly are a man's best friend. They are loyal and easy to please.

12. Living with diabetes gives me a great perspective on our amazing bodies, and my dependence upon God for each moment.

13. Nothing in life has taught me to be unselfish and patient like marriage.
even if the connection is not current.

15. I really only need to care about God's opinion of me.

16. I sleep much better than the average person. I have slept through earthquakes, thunderstorms, children crying, and dogs barking.

17. Bible study is much better than Bible reading.

18. I lose my keys way too much.

19. People really do like to see a smile or a simple word of encouragement.

20. I have learned to love coupons. Clipping them is like clipping money.

21. Every believer needs a supportive church family.

22. It is good idea to carry a cell phone at all times. It is even more helpful to turn it on!

23. Bath n Body works is the best store in any mall.

24. I am pretty sure that my taste buds are Mexican.

25. Algebra is not useful in most lives, but as a math teacher, it is good to see the way that the processes teach a person to be logical and analytical.

26. It is not necessary to know how things work. It is just good to know how to use them (computers, for example).

27. 40 may be a good time to start coloring my hair.

28. Everyone should take a trip to Europe some time in their life. I am glad I did!

29. When I am reacting, it is better to just keep my mouth shut.

30. When the traffic light says, "Photo enforced," it is best to stop, even at a yellow light.

31. Do not judge a person based on appearance.

32. No matter how hard a circumstance in my life may be, I know that God is always good, and I will be better (maybe not today, but it will happen).

33. Watching television is the best way for me to relax. It is the only thing that gives my mind a break.

34. Sunsets are much better than sunrises.

35. If I have not worn an item of clothing in a couple months, I should probably just throw it out.

36. If I am serious about losing some weight, I am going to have to get used to being hungry.

37. Pedicures are worth every cent!

38. Anyone can get a book published.

39. Starburst jelly beans are the world's best candy.

40. It does not matter how old you are; what matters is how old you act!

So, which one do you like the best???

2 comments:

Charity said...

I <3 the one about FAMILY! (of course) Oh, and keep blogging! I'm reading! :)

Hadley McCormick said...

All:) haha im reading so dont worry!:)