Friday, September 21, 2007

What are you working on?


A group of ladies from our church started a Bible Study last week. We meet once a week to watch the Beth Moore video and then discuss different things that we learned from the lessons during the week. It is such an enriching time. If you have never read or watched any Beth Moore material, I highly recommend it. Last spring, we covered the Tabernacle---sounds boring, but I was amazed at all that I learned and how studying the tabernacle really helped me to better understand God.
We are now working through a series called, "The Patriarches---encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." Already, I have been so challenged. Beth said something last night that was interesting: "There is no high like the most High." The world and many people in it try to escape their reality by using alcohol, drugs, food, or whatever, but the moments that a person can share with the Creator of the universe is more than anything the world can offer.
I was also blessed last week with something that Beth said. "We do best to forget making a name for ourself and just live to make His name known." How busy we are in making a name for ourself---great mom, great friend, great teacher, great wife, great church member, great daughter.....all things I know I want to be and places where I want to make a "great" name. BUT....the emphasis in all of this is on ME. So forget it, I don't need to have a great name. My only purpose here on earth is to glorify, honor, and praise HIS name.

"Let us see the stars in heaven....you have flung across the sky. What is man that you should love him or that he should catch your eye? Yet you sent your son to die that we might come to find new life in Him.....Oh Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name....majestic is your name in all the earth. Oh Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name....majestic is your name in all the earth. You are awesome in your glory. We are sinful and unpure. How can we approach the holy who will not for sin endure. But you sent your son to die. His blood has paid the price for all our sins. Oh Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name....majestic is your name in all the earth. Oh Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name....majestic is your name in all the earth."

6 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying her materials! I know several women in our church read her books and there has been at least one study group. It's really true how we think of ourselves and want to be great.

I always remember how my dad would put things in perspective by saying, "It's not about us;it's about Him." So true!

Encouraging post!

SturgillMom said...

Thanks for sharing that, Michelle. I don't know that I have ever done a Beth Moore study, but I have heard wonderful things about her DVD studies. I am glad that you are able to do that.

Tina said...

I love the CD that song you quote comes from. It is by far my favorite and is playing often at our house!

Anonymous said...

What joy you bring to the heart of your Mom and Dad. We love you!

Juliet said...

It's ALL about Him! Thanks for sharing and reminding us to stay on track. Love, AJ

Cindy Swanson said...

Michelle, my older sister's life has been tremendously blessed by Beth Moore studies. She has grown so much in the Lord since she's been doing them, and she is now acting as a facilitator for one. Beth Moore is really being used of God.